Friday, February 22, 2008

Speaking of bondage, Shabbat Shalom!

Well, Friday is here again, and that means that tonight we prepare to "enter into that rest" of Shabbat. How anybody could disregard this commandment as being "under bondage" is beyond me.
We have come to look forward to this day throughout the entire week - the phones are off, the TV is off, we stay at home... and rest. If that is bondage, then count me in. After all, I am called to be a slave to God, right? His burden is easy and His yoke is light.

It seems to me that if people knew the value of the Sabbath, and realized that God promised to meet us in it, Christians everywhere would be digging up excuses to start observing this beautiful holiday. Yes, holiday. God names the Sabbath first in His list of Festivals (click hereto read Lev 23).

I can remember reading that and wondering how the Sabbath could qualify as a holiday, then we started observing it, and it is more than obvious to me now. Its hard to believe that we, as believers, fight so hard to be able to work every day of the week.
The Lord said,through the prophet Isaiah (Isaiah 58:13):

"If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shalt honor him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it."

...sounds good to me.

Shabbat Shalom.


No comments: