Friday, October 02, 2009

Sukkot is Finally Here! ... And The Neighbors Think We Are Nuts.

Sukkot is here, and I am pretty excited about it. I can't remember if this is our 4th or 5th year celebrating it, but each year I learn more about the significance of this prophetic moedim (click the link for a great essay on God's moedim by Tim Hegg).
I can't blog about the journey of a "Christian-gone-Messianic / Hebrew Roots" without mentioning the feeling you get when you build your first real sukkah.
It is an incredible experience knowing that God's people all over the world are building similar temporary dwellings. It is also a little awkward when you live in a small town, like we do.
There are no Jewish people living living here - at least I haven't seen any other Sukkah's in the neighborhood. I have to tell the neighbors that it's "only temporary."

I know that this is short, and not very informative, but I have to get ready for Sabbath dinner (which we will be eating outside), and there is a lot of work to do before the sun goes down.
Sukkkoth lasts for a whole week, so I will go into details of what it is and how we have grown in our observance of it. Keep checking back for more in depth coverage of "Sukkot 2009!" In the meantime, I will leave you with some pictures of our Sukkah...


Sabbath dinner will be eaten out here tonight
looking up through the branches

Our "front door" for the week!

2 comments:

Bridget823 said...

I really like your sukkah!! It's cold where we live so I set up a table and made one for my kids this year. Hopefully some year it will be warm enough for us to have one outside!! Hope you have a great time!! I think that if people would try out some of these biblical holidays they would see that they are more fun the secular ones!! I'm looking forward to doing my own Passover Sedar this year!! I will be checking back to see what else you have to add...your blog is very informative!!
Shalom

Aaron Benge said...

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback! I hope that you and your kids had a great Sukkot. We had to stay inside quite a bit due to the cold and rain ourselves.
Passover (Pesach) is my personal favorite of the Festivals. I can't help but get choked up while going through the seder. Each and every little detail seems to point toward our Messiah.
Again, thanks a lot for stopping by. Your feedback made my whole week!