Friday, May 30, 2008

Bamidbar - Numbers 1:1-4:20


Shabbat Shalom! Friday is finally here, and I am looking forward to this week's day of rest.
Man, it has been a long week.
Before I sign off, I would like to ask for prayer for a good friend of mine, Christopher, who has endured more pain than just about everybody I know put together... and he still has a huge smile on his face every time I see him. Agree with me in prayer that he would get well soon.
We need his guitar playing at church, and his voice is irreplaceable.

I will leave you with a tidbit of First Fruits of Zion's weekly edrash (parsha), titled

"House of the Father"

By their families, by their fathers' households ... (Numbers 1:2) The census in the wilderness illustrates the family structure and relationship of the nation of Israel. All the children of Israel were one large family. The hierarchical family relationships reveal the Bible's patriarchal worldview. The breakdown of the nation into tribe, clan and household demonstrates the strong central position of fathers. The entire nation looked back to one common father...

You can read the rest here (you have to have an account, but it is worth it).

Image from www.beitsimcha.com/cookbook.asp

Click here to read the scriptures for this week's parsha.



No comments: