Friday, February 10, 2006

MangDoodles #1 - Mary Magdeleine (Mary Magdalene) & Lot's Wife...

A few months ago, I was looking for a new material with which to sculpt. While asking around, a friend of mine at work suggested chisseling a 50 lb. soft water salt block, so, here's what happened...


This is Mary Magdeleine (Magdalene) (I just used my imagination), looking up to Yeshua after annointing his feet with oil.
It is called "At the feet of Jesus". I did it in about 12 hours, split up into 2 days; she weighs around 40 lbs now.

This was my first; it's called simply, "Lot's Wife". If you don't know the story, Lot's wife looked back toward Sodam after the Angel told them not to, and she was turned into a piller of salt. She looks a little more haggard than Mary, as I was trying to make her look defiant and bitter. Lot's Wife took about 4 more hours than Mary because it was my first one. She weighs about 45lbs.
This picture was taken at Suzie Gibb's Art Studio in Lafayette, IN - it was my first sale.

I just got my first batch of sculpting clay, so I will be posting my results whenever I finish something...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do love your salt sculptures> They are very nice and uniqe! Keep me posted as to the care and maintainance of them, should I be able to show your work, I would need to know. I will let you know how this year's Bryce Fest goes-last year was really good with an antique car show, newspaper coverage and all. In Christ, Suzanne Schauer