Thursday, March 16, 2006

Just in time for Shabbat

I found a neat website from Aish that is all about observing the Sabbath. It has a lot of information about things to do with your family, things to prepare to eat before the Sabbath, fun for the kids and such.
We made the decision to observe the Biblical Sabbath (Saturday) because my wife and I came to the conclusion that there is no man; not even Paul the Appostle, that has the authority to "change the Sabbath to Sunday". In Exd 31:16 the Holy Spirit said "Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, [for] a perpetual covenant." I used to think that that was "for the Jews", or "for Israel", and I was right; but Paul himself tells us that we "were graffed in among them", and that we were once "Strangers to the covenants and promises" but now, we are "...fellow heirs and of the same body, and partakers of his promise." If He made the Sabbath a perpetual covenant for them, and I am now a fellow heir, and grafted in to them, then I believe that His Sabbath is for me as well.
(stepping down from soap box...)
Ever since my family started observing Shabbat, we have been trying to sort of create our own “traditions”, while taking on some of the more meaningful aspects of Jewish tradition, like lighting the candles, and blessing the kids. So far it has been fun, and at times frustrating. Fun, in that we are learning new things about our walk – all of the pictures of Yeshua that we find in His day of rest, relaxing with the kids, family Bible Study ...and the kids and I get to play bluegrass music together (standard Sabbath keeping stuff, huh?). Frustrating in that we don’t really know what we are “supposed” to be doing to prepare for it, and I have a job that doesn’t allow for me to be present on every Saturday. Regardless, it has been an eye opening experience that we will continue to grow in.

No comments: