Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sometimes a name says it all.

Allow me to put my two cents in on all of this "Immigrant Reform" business. Before I start, I want to tell you about a man that I work with. He has been in America since the early seventies. He moved here from Mexico, where he lived in a very poor area, the son of a farming family, in a farming community. This person is a Christian who contributes to this community, and would gladly drop what he is doing to help any stranger. I know, because I have seen him do it. He has helped me out when I was having hard times. He owns a successful small business, and works a full time job in a factory, and has raised a family right here in the Crawfordsville, IN area.
Our country was, indeed, built by immigrants. I am sure that my family history traces back to people who are not indigenous to America. However, our country was built on Legal Immigrants; legal. I don't think that there should be any debate on this issue at all. The fact is this: even if a person from Mexico is a wonderful person who has never broken the law, the very second that they enter our boarders without going through the proper legal procedures that allow them to, they become criminals - by default. They are called Illegal Immigrants for a reason - they are here illegally. To be anywhere illegally, by definition, means that that person is trespassing - breaking the law. That means that just by being present on this side of the boarder, they are breaking the law of the land. Until that person is back on the Mexican side of the boarder, they are breaking the law every second of the day. A person that lives in a perpetual state of law-breaking is a criminal; even though they may not be breaking any other law in this land. The real immigrant issue is America's reluctance to enforce our own laws. If we had enforced the law as it was stated in the first place, we would not have the problem that we have today.
Here in America, we have far more thieves than we have Mexicans. Can you imagine 250,000 thieves marching the streets of L.A. demanding the US to recognize their right to steel? Or, 250,000 people who demand their right to snort cocaine? We have laws for a reason. The person that I described in the first paragraph, as kind and giving as he is, is here legally. Had he sneaked across the boarder, the unfortunate truth is that you would have to add the title "criminal" to the list.



No comments: