Thursday, April 13, 2006

Unleavened Easter Lent Candy... for Passover?

Passover is over, and I must say, that we truly stumbled through it. I don’t think that we did it correctly. In fact, I am not sure that there is a correct way to do it at all. Research on the internet brought up about 3.6 million different ways of going about it!

Why then, you may ask, do we bother? There are so many pictures of Messiah that it would be wrong for us to throw out the baby with the bath water. I can pick at random, ten things from Passover that point to Jesus, while the mainstream Christian world looks to rabbits, painted eggs, candy, and baskets (all of which have Pagan origins).

The awesome thing about Passover is knowing that this is a festival that Jesus Himself took part in as an observant Jew – He was commanded by the Torah to do so! – To me, it was an easy decision; regardless of how much trial and error it involves. I will say it again; it has actually been fun.

Next on our agenda in this quest for the “Ancient paths” is the Feast of Unleavened Bread. We did this one last year with out a hitch – luckily, my wife makes an excellent matzo bread, so we are set for the week.

I realized this year that the Catholics call this "Holy Week" and have their own traditions super imposed onto this seven days. That seems odd to me, considering the Biblical rendition of this week is already so rich in tradition. Even the Methodists are doing Lent now.

What sort of a world do we live in that calls people like me odd for trying to do what Scripture commands, while portraying Easter, Lent, and the "Stations of the Cross" righteous? I guess it is not for me to decide. At any rate, I will choose to err on the side of Scripture. After all, our Master did... and has commmanded the same from His followers.

No comments: