Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A plug for Living Sacrifice.


I need to speek my mind on music for a minute. I have posted about many different genres on Mangdiddles, from Hungarian Gypsy Viollin to Pierre' Fournier's beautiful interpretation of Bach's Cello Suites, all the way to Matisyahu's infectious Hasidic Jewish reggae. There is another genre that demands my attention though - hardcore thrash metal, and the best of all is Living Sacrifice.

For those who have never heard of Living Sacrifice, they are the best hardcore band of all time - and I am not just talking about the Christian hardcore scene. I was in to hardcore metal looooooong before I ever gave my life to Christ. I am suggesting that they are the best according to secular standards too; without question.
Their rhythms are impeccable, the syncopation sometimes incomprehensible, the guitar prodigious, and Bruce has the most intense, voice in the business.

Living Sacrifice has never gotten the credit they deserve. We've all known bands like these (Prong comes to mind), but Living Sac is different. I can, and have bought their CD's for my children.
My favorite album growing up was Reign In Blood by Slayer. Living Sac's Reborn not only supersedes the talent and ingenuity of that album... they kill it - in message and talent.

Well, they split up a few years ago... but they just announced (here) that they are getting back together. This time when I go to see them at Cornerstone, I get to take my kids to see them with me. As for their CD's, my personal favorite is Conceived in Fire. When I saw these guys, Bruce told the story behind the song "3x3", which mimicked my story to a T... only I made it out alive.
I should also add that Pre-Bruce Living Sacrifice is much different than Post-Bruce Living Sacrifice. Although the music on the early albums is awesome, the vocals are lacking... to put it lightly. I'm glad they never gave up.
Below are the best metal CD's money can buy. And take the word "buy" to heart, These guys deserve every penny they earn - trust me.

Living Sacrifice
Reborn
(buy songs here)

In Memoriam (enh)
In Memoriam (enh)
(buy songs here)


Living Sacrifice Hammering Process
Hammering Process
(buy songs here)



No comments: