Sunday, October 28, 2007

Saturday, Sunday, the Apostles and the Church Fathers.

I was talking to a good friend of mine, Jim Denman, tonight about the Festivals of God, and there are a few things I'd like to write about.

It is interesting that when a person or family decides that they want to do the Festivals (Passover, Tabernacles, Trumpets, etc.) they almost instantly come under fire from other Christians. People in the world generally don't have a problem with it, but our Christian brothers and sisters seem to be irritated by our doing them.

I can remember being very irritated by the thought of "keeping the Law". In fact, I was very verbal about my irritation - I was so angry that I set out to prove this nonsense wrong through the scriptures. In my quest, I found that Jesus kept all of them; in fact, He made it a point to keep them all - even Hanukkah! Yes, you read it right, even Hanukkah.

"John 10:22 And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication (i.e., Hanukkah), and it was winter."

So why all of the fuss from Christians about other Christians keeping the Festivals?
I can only tell you why it bothered me so much, and that is because I knew that if we were supposed to be doing these things, then my entire life was going to have to change - my whole life; all the way down to my eating habits, and when I mow my lawn.

Yes, even when I mow my lawn. I used to do that on Saturday, but now we rest.

This leads me back to Jim. He made a point that really hit home with me. He said, "How could it ever be wrong to do anything that Jesus did?"
It makes perfect sense to me.

One more thing; about the Sabbath - lets say that the apostles, or the "church fathers"
did change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. Who are they to change the day that God called "My Sabbath (Exd 31:13, Lev 19:3, Lev 19:30, Lev 26:2, Isa 56:4, Eze 20:12, Eze 20:13, and many more)"? Better yet, how can the Torah be "never changing; not one jot or tittle shall pass, etc. if the apostles and church fathers can just go in there and swap days around? What value would Sunday have over the day that God ordained to be His Sabbath? Did He rest from creating the creation on Sunday? No. No matter what any man says, the day that He instituted for our rest is the same day that He Himself rested on. Saturday.

No comments: